Author Topic: LIGHT COFFEE CREAM "QUICK DESSERT"  (Read 42654 times)

Offline isi

• View Profile
LIGHT COFFEE CREAM "QUICK DESSERT"
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:57:25 pm »
Hello!

This one is for Coffee Lovers but not just!  Because I dont normal drink Coffee and this Cream is one of my favorites 8)

Name of Recipe:
LIGHT COFFEE CREAM "QUICK DESSERT"

Number of People: 6-7

Ingredients:
500 grams of milk
10 gramm flour (maize starch) - I hope you know what I mean ???
2 eggs
60 grams sugar
140 grams cream
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee

Preparation:
All the ingredients except the cream and the coffee in the TMX - 15 seconds on stage 4
Then you programmed 9 minutes at 90 º Stage 3
now put the cream and the coffee -  stage 4 and mix it 15 seconds!

Tips/Hints:
This Cream is excellent past 4-5 hours in the Cold but it is alltough a very good dessert  to prepare 1 or 2 days before if you need!!

Members' comments
JulieO -  It didn't 'set' as such but was a nice creamy dessert. Only made half the recipe as only 2 of us tonight and it made enough to fill 2 glasses.  Quite refreshing really and served with a swirl of whipped cream and some chocolate shards. Will make again for sure. Thanks again isi.

JD - Thanks for your photo JulieO - mine is the same colour as yours which is a tad lighter than isi's.  Mine also didn't 'set' as much as I thought it would but I agree with you, it was nice and light - a great finish to a meal.  Maybe a bit more cornflour next time would make it a little firmer? I will definitely be making this again. Thanks isi.

cathy79 - I served them in coffee liqueur glasses.  Made 4 nice size serves. It was very light, not too rich, so quite refreshing.  Would be nice to try with some liqueur added, or a chocolate version would be nice too. Very easy recipe.  Made it at about 5pm and it was ready for dessert at about 8:30 so good timing.

VHJ - I made a mocha (chocolate & coffee) version & everyone loved it. My boys have requested a straight chocolate version to compare. Lovely easy recipe Isi. Thank you.

MJ - Just a point about cornflour. Isi's maize flour is different from our corn flour. The one we get (Nurses) is actually wheaten cornflour. I think if you use proper cornflour made from corn, you may find it makes the custard set better.

VHJ - I used "real" cornflour & it was still "wobbly" but delicious.

Chookie - What we are making is a coffee custard, which will wobble, for a firmer set I think gelatin would have to be used.

JD - Wobbly is good once you get used to it.  We are so used to our custards setting here and because this one is different, we tend to think there is something wrong.  A bit of variation never goes astray and it is the lightness of this one that I love.

Georgie  -I just tried a chocolate (with cocoa ... any real chocolate doesn't last long in this house when I buy it) version of this - yum!! Well, it's actually for dessert tonight but I just sneaked a spoonful. I didn't have as much cream as I thought, only about 70g, so I made the rest up with coconut cream as I'd already put everything else in. Mmm, this one's definitely a keeper! I reckon it has a similar texture/taste to Yogo (a popular chocolate dairy dessert over here) - kids love it! and grown-ups too ... I think next time I'll have to make a choc batch for the kids and the original coffee one for the grown-ups.

cathy79 - Georgie, I made a double batch the other night and cooked for 12 minutes.  Then you can add all the cream, whiz, pour half out add cocoa, whiz, pour into glasses to serve.  Then pour back in the first half and add coffee, whiz, pour into glasses to serve.
Saves "cooking" two batches.

I've just made a chocolate batch and a coffee batch as well.
Chocolate - I used 20g of cocoa instead of coffee using the EDC custard recipe as a guide.  Mixture tastes perfect, so will see once it's cold. I have an experiment going too.  I put half a serve of chocolate in the freezer while making the coffee batch.  Once the coffee batch was ready, I carefully poured it on top of the chocolate using a spoon to help layer the flavours. The layering definitely worked and looked really nice. Would be even better if the colours were more different.  Maybe honeycomb and chocolate?

JD -  Yu could make one layer a plain vanilla flavoured 'cream', leaving out either the coffee or the chocolate.  Or (oh the possibilities are endless) use white chocolate in one batch and dark choc in the other.

Chookie - Had this today and DIL suggested it would make a lovely base for Tiramisu.   Think it is worth a try.
This is one of our all time favourites. DIL loves it so make it when she comes and extra for her to take home. Thanks Isi.

rainbow - Tried this recipe last night and an absolute winner, will be on our favourite list, thanks Isi.

JD - Made this again yesterday for a visitor today but as I had no cream in the fridge, decided to do a bit of tweaking.  I used 20g cornflour, 375g can light evaporated milk, 265g skim milk, 55g sugar, 1 good tablespoon coffee granules and the 2 eggs.  It set perfectly with no wobble and my guest thoroughly enjoyed it.

versaceyoyo - Isi - I made this dessert tonight and it was very easy and tasted very nice.  I like this recipe because you don't end up with a heap of left over egg whites or egg yokes either but it is quite mousse-like.  Nice and simple.

AmandaN - Yes, I like that it uses all the egg too. I like to make a chocolate and kahlua variation.

Dizzygirl - As I have some berry coulis left from Christmas Day, I was wondering if I could add this instead of coffee? Or am I better off adding vanilla essence and then pouring the coulis over it when served?

Chookie - I make this often as it can be made several days ahead.  I think it is too soft to pour berry syrupy over.  You could add vanilla and swirl the berry through it.

snappy - I had no cream so I have just made this using JD's tweak.  I also changed it to 1 tbsp cocoa and 2 squares dark chocolate instead of the coffee.  Just had a quick taste when it was still hot and it is like a chocolate custard.
Update - It came out just like Choc yogo!  So DH was very impressed. Only thing is that it does form a skin when cooling like custard so I would cover with gladwrap next time otherwise it is perfect.  It will be a staple around here.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:18:40 pm by judydawn »

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
Re: LIGHT COFFEE CREAM "QUICK DESSERT"
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:53:16 pm »
Mmm I love all things coffee too.  I'll have to try this, thankyou isi.  ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:56:27 pm »
Looks lovely isi.  Will be making this today as I have run out of desserts.  Maize flour here is called cornflour.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:12:24 am »
Sounds good - thanks Isi - very simple but tasty for sure.  :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline Very Happy Jan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 01:13:18 am »
Thanks Isi. This looks lovely. Think I will make this today.
Jan.  Perth,  Western Australia
Adolescence is a time of great change. Between the ages of 12 and 17 a parent can age 20 years.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 04:28:05 am »
Another good one isi, thanks.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 06:40:44 am »
Thanks Isi, I love your recipes.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:11 am »
Thank you for your sympathy! :) :)
This way are worth sharing
Look forward to your results
isi

Offline JulieO

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 10:14:03 am »
I made this today to have after tea.  It didn't 'set' as such but was a nice creamy dessert.

Luckily my son had a jar of decaffeinated coffee as we don't drink instant, but there was still enough coffee flavour. 

Only made half the recipe as only 2 of us tonight and it made enough to fill 2 glasses.  Quite refreshing really and served with a swirl of whipped cream and some chocolate shards.

Will make again for sure. Thanks again isi.   ;D

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 11:09:45 am »
Thanks for your photo JulieO - mine is the same colour as yours which is a tad lighter than isi's.  Mine also didn't 'set' as much as I thought it would but I agree with you, it was nice and light - a great finish to a meal.  Maybe a bit more cornflour next time would make it a little firmer? I will definitely be making this again. Thanks isi.

Offline isi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 11:25:26 am »
Juhuuuu
I can not understand what  "set" means???
I imagine it has to do with consistency??
I started making this cream with 20 grams of flour but it seamed more like a pudding than a cream for that reason I reduced the flour!
So it is easy to adapt to any persons taste ;)

Beautiful Foto Julie .... eyes also eat :)

Thank you bough for doing it - I am very happy

For us it is a very nice and light finish for dinner too :)
isi

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 11:35:55 am »
Yes set is to do with the consistency isi.  Mine wobbled a bit like jelly, it wasn't firm like custard for example.  It really doesn't need to be 'set' a lot more, just a little so a bit more cornflour should do the trick.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 03:00:41 am »
Great work JD & JulieO - the pic is great too.  :-* :-*
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:15:06 am »
DH had his first tasting of this after lunch today isi and he thought the texture was fine. Him and I have different ideas on texture though  :D :D

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 08:34:35 am »
Thanks Isi :-* :-* :-*
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/