Author Topic: What have you been doing today?  (Read 6535124 times)

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What have you been doing today?
« Reply #28170 on: August 06, 2024, 01:11:23 pm »
There’d car is called Runt Judy. The guy that owns it lost his wife last year, she was lovely.
I had Bookclub tonight, this afternoon some blood tests and this morning a car run for coffee.
May all dairy items in your fridge be of questionable vintage.

https://www.facebook.com/The-Retired-Thermomixer-834601623316983/

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #28171 on: August 06, 2024, 08:36:58 pm »
There’d car is called Runt Judy. The guy that owns it lost his wife last year, she was lovely.
I had Bookclub tonight, this afternoon some blood tests and this morning a car run for coffee.
Busy Cookie! Also love the red car.
Probus monthly meeting. Out for lunch.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #28172 on: August 07, 2024, 12:07:41 am »
I had my first infusion for osteoporosis today.
I would also be interested in hearing how this went.  Fortunately, at this stage, I am nowhere near needing this treatment but got a bit of a surprise last when my surgeon said I was a scary patient because my bones were soft.  I didn't think they were as my bone scans over the years have not been a concern.
Marina from Melbourne and Guildford
I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #28173 on: August 09, 2024, 05:08:02 am »
I had my first infusion for osteoporosis today.
I would also be interested in hearing how this went.  Fortunately, at this stage, I am nowhere near needing this treatment but got a bit of a surprise last when my surgeon said I was a scary patient because my bones were soft.  I didn't think they were as my bone scans over the years have not been a concern.

Marina, I don't know what reactions other people get but  I was told to expect  some flu like symptoms from the infusion but I didn't expect what I got.  2 days in bed with a temperature, shivering and freezing cold with aching joints.  I drank gallons of water as I was so thirsty.  Then I had a dose of diahorrea for a day and a half.  I don't think I will be facing up for a second infusion in twelve months time.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28174 on: August 09, 2024, 07:47:10 am »
That’s some reaction Margaret! Maybe it’s only the first infusion that’s so bad.

Today I finally got to see a dietician after both my gastroenterologist and GP wanted me to see one. My last bone scan showed I was getting close to having Osteoporosis. We only had time to address the gut issue today and she’s put me on a FODMAP trial so off to Woolies to buy up lactose free dairy products and gluten free cereal etc.  I see her again in a month’s time.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28175 on: August 09, 2024, 12:13:38 pm »
Mab that is dreadful.
Judy do they think a FODMAP. Diet will help you, or able to eat things on it.

Offline K Atie

• View Profile
« Reply #28176 on: August 09, 2024, 01:21:41 pm »
Man that’s shocking , I didn’t think that would be the reaction but as Judy said maybe the next one is not so bad .

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #28177 on: August 09, 2024, 10:32:18 pm »
What a horrible reaction, Mab.  I think that has got a lot of us thinking about the infusion.  With luck, it is simply a reaction that will never be repeated.

Judy, I don't know a lot about FODMAP but I do know that Quirky Jo is (or was) heavily into it so a browse on her blog / web site could be interesting for you.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28178 on: August 09, 2024, 11:06:29 pm »
Cookie, at this stage it’s just a trial before re-introducing the banned foods one at a time to see what really does need to be eliminated. There may be only some that don’t pass the test. The diet isn’t that bad really, plenty of options still but I guess the onion and garlic ban for the time being is the hardest.  I bought garlic infused olive oil yesterday which is allowed. I will miss my favourite coffee hit, Nestle sachets and I don’t like espresso or instant coffee so it will be cups of tea until we get this sorted. My daily Sustagen smoothies aren’t really affected, only have to leave the prunes and avocado out of them and I haven’t tasted any difference by using lactose free milk. With me having limited ability to eat a normal meal, yes I can work around that too.

Marina thanks, I’ll check Jo’s website out plus I have one of her recipe books.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #28179 on: August 09, 2024, 11:11:18 pm »
Judy, I’ve done FODMAP and still do a modified form. Talk to anyone who is doing it. There is a lot of help on line. For flavour boost buy 7 S by Messel. The biggest thing I avoid is onion ( i can tolerate the green tops) , although garlic is ok. Everyone is different.

Mab that is terrible. Ral had infusions for years. No reaction.

It is slightly warmer in Ballarat and I spent 2 hours in the garden. I ate lunch outside in my new garden room. Lovely. I grilled a lamb 4/4 chop on my Weber and added salad from my garden. Also a small roll of 1/2 sprouted grains. I heated this in the Weber.

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28180 on: August 11, 2024, 08:09:08 am »
Thanks Chookie, I bought the ordinary Massel stock cubes which are GF & DF, didn’t see the 7S type so will have another look next time. I’m going really well so far but it’s easy when you’re home, won’t be so easy when I go away. My dietician is going to see some strange choices on my food diary, I put toast and goat cheese slices (have only see these in Aldi) into the TMX with the basic Sustagen drink, added some nut-free zucchini pesto (I’d made it for a friend), blitzed it then heated it - it tasted really good. I had a huge bag of frozen spring onion green tops and as I hadn’t found a use for them I threw them out last week. Would have been good for soups now. I made this really nice carrot and zucchini coconut soup yesterday https://www.karlijnskitchen.com/en/carrot-zucchini-soup-with-coconut-milk/ plus this one which I’ll have tonight https://www.karlijnskitchen.com/en/roasted-pumpkin-soup/ .  I’m having fun with it at the moment.

Today I spent hours in the garden watering, pulling out weeds and pruning, fixed the side gate latch so that it actually kept the gate closed. A nice day to be outside and getting these jobs done.

Offline cookie1

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28181 on: August 11, 2024, 12:51:17 pm »
Not very much at all.

Offline achookwoman

• View Profile
    • Chook woman
« Reply #28182 on: August 11, 2024, 08:49:47 pm »
Well done Judy. I keep several pots of chives and onions growing to add the green tops to everything .but I don't cook them.

Offline Cuilidh

• View Profile
« Reply #28183 on: August 11, 2024, 10:36:07 pm »
Still living a fairly sedentary life - I would love to get out into the garden to get started on ripping out all the new season's weeds, but my physio has told me I am only (theoretically) permitted 2 x 5 minute walks a day (and I am not meant to run them together!)  I am trying to be good, but very hard, especially when I am cooking!  I am allowed to slowly build up to more minutes.  I really didn't believe the literature when they said that it is a 12 month recovery following this operation - I am beginning to believe that now.

Offline mab19

• View Profile
« Reply #28184 on: August 12, 2024, 10:21:31 am »
I had my hair cut this morning and then a visit to to the doctor.
Some months ago I bought a slicer/grater for my tm31 from Alyce Alexandra so I decided to try it out this afternoon.  I managed to slice the top of my finger and then bled over the TMX, the benches, the sink, the vegetables, the instruction book and my clothes and that was before I got it to work.  I couldn't get it to do anything and it wasn't until I read the book through the blood smears again that I realized that I had to put the reverse button on.   So quick and so easy when you know how and  I now have a heap of grated carrots and zucchini to use up.  It looks like a quiche might be on the menu.
The  man who said it can't be done should not interupt the woman doing it.