Author Topic: cream  (Read 21828 times)

Offline faffa_70

• My favourite things TMX ... roses & purple :)
    • View Profile
Re: cream
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:09 am »
Yes I only use Hi Lo milk as well for everything as that is all we have in the house
Kathryn - Perth WA :)
Mum of 5 hungry mouths :D
Noni to 3 more hungry mouths!

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:14 am »
Well I've done some experimenting and have come up with a solution.  I think this is one of those temperamental things that depends on whether the eggs are out of the fridge or on room temperature.  Anyway, for anyone that's interested I used the butterfly with the egg yolks and sugar for 5 mins on 4, at 50 C.  Then I added the cream and milk.  These take a while to heat up straight from the fridge, I think it's more gradual than on a stove.  I then went for 8 minutes on 90 speed 3 as suggested, and custard was not cooked.  Kept going in 2 minute intervals, then 1 minute.  It took 15 minutes to thicken to the right degree, and a perfect result I have to say.  I think maybe if used on 80 C you would need to go for even longer, but there would be no risk of curdling.  I am however going to use 80 C for Hollandaise, as I think this is even more temperamental.  Thanks for all the helpful suggestions everyone!

Found this on the forum as he apparently was experiencing some problems with custard curdling (think he was making a custard icecream thingemejig).
Non Consultant from Perth, Western Australia

A balanced diet is a biscuit in each hand

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 11:26:49 pm »
I'm posting this under this subject because we are talking about cream.... Last night we needed some custard real quick (and the shops were shut). The only thing we had available was Hi-Lo (skinny) milk so I thought we'd use it as there shouldn't be "too much" of a difference being milk. Well, there is. It sort of curdled and looked like custard gone wrong (cos it was). Taste was there, but looks were funny. Was a good experiment though and we still ate it, but will never do this again. Hope this helps someone else in the future.
maybe it's the hi-lo as we always use skim milk and it's fine!
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline judydawn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 01:23:51 am »
What's the difference between hi-low and skim milk.  We also use the latter and I have never had a problem with curdling. Even when I use Carnation evaporated milk in savoury dishes these days, it doesn't seem to curdle either although it usually did on the stove.
Judy from North Haven, South Australia

Make the most of every day, you never know what is around the corner.

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 08:49:10 am »
My DD just pointed out that she didn't like the updated version of the custard in the EDC as it uses thickened cream. That could be the reason...

Offline brazen20au

• View Profile
    • brazen's culinary adventures
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 08:51:08 am »
i think hi lo has added bits (calcium?)
Karen in Canberra :)
Mum to 3 including one with Coeliac Disease and 2 with autism, aiming for a paleo / AIP diet
My Cooking Blog
Thermomix Magic Group Blog

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »
Hi Lo has more fat than skim milk and is higher in calcium but the calcium isn't added to the milk (well not in the brands I buy anyway  ???) I just checked all the cartons in my fridge lol as there is a couple of different brands today.

Offline JaneeZee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2009, 08:09:34 am »
I was told the best cream for making butter is the liquid consistency one which comes in a mini milk carton - so that would be pure whipping cream I guess!  I have to confess I haven't made butter yet........don't know why, just haven't summoned the energy to do it.

I have made custard with no fat milk (even worse than skinny milk, like water) at a demo & it turned out fine, don't think the hi-lo was responsible for the curdling............

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 01:51:13 pm »
The amount of custard I have made with ho-lo milk and had no problems, I would just about bet my very last dollar that it isn't the milk  ;) ;) In saying that I have no idea what it might be. THERMOMIXERRRRRRRRR, Oh Thermomixer... your presence and knowledge is required  :-* :-*

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2009, 02:00:23 pm »
I was told the best cream for making butter is the liquid consistency one which comes in a mini milk carton - so that would be pure whipping cream I guess!  I have to confess I haven't made butter yet........don't know why, just haven't summoned the energy to do it.

yeah this is the cream i use to make my butter every week. It keeps well past its used by date, i have used it a month after! It is high fat which you need, but pure - no additives.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2009, 04:40:25 pm »
I have made the custard using the old recipe with great results, and am starting to think it may be the thickened cream component which is the updated version of the EDC seeing as no one has had adverse effects (EDC - what the????)

Offline faffa_70

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2009, 04:44:19 pm »
Is that in the latest edition of the EDC book CP63 (the one that was printed in June 2009)...I don't think I would bother with cream as I don't have it in my fridge as a staple and I make it all the time as a tummy filler  ;D I certainly couldn't be bothered if I was to have problems with it as well  :-))

Offline CreamPuff63

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2009, 05:29:18 pm »
Yep, its the latest update. DD has become a consultant and I went through her entire book and then updated my book. I never had any problems with the custard previously but thought I would try the new version. Seems that its not so good, and possibly if Tenina was somewhere in the background she may be able to give some clues as to why. Otherwise, I will make the old version over the weekend, and if there is no problems will delete the new version.

Offline Thermomixer

• View Profile
    • Thermomixer
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2009, 05:59:51 pm »
With the custard problems - what recipe did you use?  The new EDC custard recipe does not appear to have cream in the custard? Is it the one on page 155?

Custards are difficult as they vary a lot depending on whether you use egg yolks, whole eggs, thickeners such s cornflour -the temperature varies, tickness varies.

CP63 - let us know the exact recipe - probably cooked to high at too high a temp to curdle, rather than the type of milk/cream
Thermomixer in Australia

http://thermomix-er.blogspot.com/ - my blog

http://thermomixmagic.blogspot.com/ - our joint blog in Oz - please feel free to join us.

Offline riv_mum

• View Profile
    • Thermotalk
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 06:39:48 am »
i have only ever used the original recipe and in the 100 or more times i have made it it has only failed once and i think this is because the bowl was quite warm when i put the eggs in.  Wasnt even aware that the recipe had changed.
Sheree
Tupperware and Thermomix Consultant.
www.thermotalk.webs.com